she won't beshe looks very happyy if she s_ the mess

Recipients(接受者)of this year's Annenberg scholarships were announced on June 19. Brittany Blythe was one of them.
In seventh grade,Brittany Blythe dreamed of being a cheerleader(啦啦队队员). Her school’s coaches were less than enthusiastic. “They said. ‘I don't know how you’ll be able to do it’. ”she recalls. “‘You won’t be able to do it’.” But Brittany,now a junior at Strath Haven High School near Philadelphia,refused to give up. And when the junior school cheerleaders won a tournament last year, she was right there,dancing and cheering with the rest of the team.
Not bad for someone whose legs were cut off below the knee when she was two years old.
Brittany,18,was born without shinbones(胫骨)—“just blood and muscle tissue,”as she puts it. When she tried to walk, her legs twisted.
After the operation, she adapted quickly. “From day one,I basically jumped up and wanted to do everything,’’ she says. Prostheses(假肢)allowed her to move around upright. But too slowly to keep up with her friends. Brittany’s solution was to take the legs off and walk on her knees something she still does when safety and comfort permit.
She has been rarely discouraged. Other children laughed at her through the years,especially in junior high school,but she says the challenge only made her stronger. Now she’s trying to convince her coaches to let her remove the prostheses and be a flyer. The cheerleader who's thrown in the air and caught by her teammates.
Brittany doesn’t think her problems put her at a disadvantage. “My disability was the first thing I had to get through., and that’s going to prepare me for the future. ”she says. “It’s all just a test:If someone throws you a difficult problem,what are you going to do?”
小题1: What was the coaches’ first attitude towards Brittany's dream?A.SupportiveB.EnthusiasticC.OptimisticD.Doubtful小题2: What was Brittany’s reaction after the operation?A.She abandoned herself to self-pity. B.She refused to use the prostheses. C.She accepted the result and tried to get used to it. D.She challenged the children who laughed at her.小题3: What does Brittany want to achieve at the moment?A.To stop others’laughing at her.B.To prove her coaches wrong.C.To remove her prostheses.D.To be a flyer.小题4: We can learn from the last paragraph that Brittany _________.A.doesn’t think she is better than othersB.is not well prepared for the futureC.takes a positive attitude towards lifeD.likes the challenge of learning new things小题5:. What's the best title for the text?A.A new leg,a new lifeB.A new cheerleader, a new recordC.Passing the test D.Seeking advantages - 跟谁学
在线咨询下载客户端关注微信公众号
搜索你想学的科目、老师试试搜索吉安
在线咨询下载客户端关注微信公众号&&&分类: Recipients(接受者)of this year's Annenberg scholarships were announced on June 19. Brittany Blythe was one of them.
In seventh grade,Brittany Blythe dreamed of being a cheerleader(啦啦队队员). Her school’s coaches were less than enthusiastic. “They said. ‘I don't know how you’ll be able to do it’. ”she recalls. “‘You won’t be able to do it’.” But Brittany,now a junior at Strath Haven High School near Philadelphia,refused to give up. And when the junior school cheerleaders won a tournament last year, she was right there,dancing and cheering with the rest of the team.
Not bad for someone whose legs were cut off below the knee when she was two years old.
Brittany,18,was born without shinbones(胫骨)—“just blood and muscle tissue,”as she puts it. When she tried to walk, her legs twisted.
After the operation, she adapted quickly. “From day one,I basically jumped up and wanted to do everything,’’ she says. Prostheses(假肢)allowed her to move around upright. But too slowly to keep up with her friends. Brittany’s solution was to take the legs off and walk on her knees something she still does when safety and comfort permit.
She has been rarely discouraged. Other children laughed at her through the years,especially in junior high school,but she says the challenge only made her stronger. Now she’s trying to convince her coaches to let her remove the prostheses and be a flyer. The cheerleader who's thrown in the air and caught by her teammates.
Brittany doesn’t think her problems put her at a disadvantage. “My disability was the first thing I had to get through., and that’s going to prepare me for the future. ”she says. “It’s all just a test:If someone throws you a difficult problem,what are you going to do?”
小题1: What was the coaches’ first attitude towards Brittany's dream?A.SupportiveB.EnthusiasticC.OptimisticD.Doubtful小题2: What was Brittany’s reaction after the operation?A.She abandoned herself to self-pity. B.She refused to use the prostheses. C.She accepted the result and tried to get used to it. D.She challenged the children who laughed at her.小题3: What does Brittany want to achieve at the moment?A.To stop others’laughing at her.B.To prove her coaches wrong.C.To remove her prostheses.D.To be a flyer.小题4: We can learn from the last paragraph that Brittany _________.A.doesn’t think she is better than othersB.is not well prepared for the futureC.takes a positive attitude towards lifeD.likes the challenge of learning new things小题5:. What's the best title for the text?A.A new leg,a new lifeB.A new cheerleader, a new recordC.Passing the test D.Seeking advantages Recipients(接受者)of this year's Annenberg scholarships were announced on June 19. Brittany Blythe was one of them.
小题1: What was the coaches’ first attitude towards Brittany's dream?A.SupportiveB.EnthusiasticC.OptimisticD.Doubtful小题2: What was Brittany’s reaction after the operation?A.She abandoned herself to self-pity. B.She refused to use the prostheses. C.She accepted the result and tried to get used to it. D.She challenged the children who laughed at her.小题3: What does Brittany want to achieve at the moment?A.To stop others’laughing at her.B.To prove her coaches wrong.C.To remove her prostheses.D.To be a flyer.小题4: We can learn from the last paragraph that Brittany _________.A.doesn’t think she is better than othersB.is not well prepared for the futureC.takes a positive attitude towards lifeD.likes the challenge of learning new things小题5:. What's the best title for the text?A.A new leg,a new lifeB.A new cheerleader, a new recordC.Passing the test D.Seeking advantages科目:最佳答案小题1:D小题2:C小题3:D小题4:C小题5:C解析
知识点:&&基础试题拔高试题热门知识点最新试题
关注我们官方微信关于跟谁学服务支持帮助中心Welcome to Sydney Morning Herald Online.
Skip directly to: ,
She doesn't know her place
She doesn't know her place
If you're not living under a bridge talking to fleas, you've probably heard the name Susan Boyle and likely been one of the more than 60 million people worldwide who've viewed her variety show
on YouTube.
I've been thinking a lot about Susan and the similarities in her story to her predecessor, mobile phone salesman
who won the first season of the same reality TV show, Britain's Got Talent.
The thing that made Susan's appearance on the show all the more remarkable was that she faced a hostile audience that
her, yet she silenced and won them over within four or five bars of her rendition of Les Miserables' 'I Dreamed a Dream'.
Potts faced no such hostility during his audition in 2007 and the reason was he knew his place: he was fat, ugly, poorly dressed, a typical schlub and the
when he fronted the judges was almost pitiful - like he was bracing for the inevitable rejection and bullying that had crowded his youth.
Susan Boyle, however, did not know her place: she was old, fat, ugly, dowdy, unemployed and didn't pluck her eyebrows, yet she had sass, she refused to shuffle meekly onto the stage, her body language said "like it or lump it" ...
magazine put it this week: "When Boyle waddled onto the stage, looking not at all like the pre-packaged pop stars on Idol, the audience started sniggering before she'd even opened her mouth: the salt-and-pepper frizz, the red face, the most spectacular unibrow this side of Frida Kahlo."
"Just before her performance, Ms. Boyle swiveled her hips suggestively, and every bottom on every sofa in Britain clenched in horror and shame."
Because we hate it when people don't know their place: it's why so many of us stop to stare at fat women in bikinis on the beach, why we sneer at the poor when they bling it up or try to act "posh", why we mock the "ugly" when they attempt to be seductive or sexy.
It even applies to the rich and famous and it's why we enjoy it so much when people like Paris Hilton or Russell Crowe try to branch out of their field of "expertise" and crash and burn in singing careers.
They don't know their place.
Susan Boyle is fascinating because though she didn't know her place, in many ways she's more aware of it than countless other women and men who chase an impossible aesthetic.
Consider for instance that , a full three years younger
and the exact same age as George Clooney and you get a sense of how topsy turvy is the wo where we mock a female who ages as nature intended and obsess over celebrity plutocrats who deny decrepitude.
Amanda Holden, the 38-year-old Britain's Got Talent judge called Susan Boyle's performance "the biggest wake-up call ever" and you have to again ask why?
Collette Douglas writing in Glasgow's
put it best when she said: "Not only do you have to be physically appea it seems you now have to be good-looking to merit everyday common respect."
"If, like Susan (and like millions more), you are plump, middle-aged and too poor or too unworldly to follow fashion or have a good hairdresser, you are a non-person."
I don't buy this entirely of Susan Boyle. I bet she's widely known and liked in her home town and far from a non-person, but I doubt any of the local youngsters cheering her in
looked up to or wanted to be like her.
That's history now because we've all been able to witness a person's life literally change before our eyes, and it's my sincerest wish it will be for the better.
Let's just hope she doesn't start shagging Guy Ritchie.
STOP PRESS
If you're interested in attending a new seminar series I'll be trialling in the coming months called Building a Better Bloke, drop me an email below and I'll add you to my emailing list.
The talk will probably last the best part of a day and be a zero-to-one-hundred capsule of advice, tips and exercises you can use to pull yourself out of a dating rut. This is not a Pick Up Artist boot camp, just an idea I've had for a while, that I'd like to test out, so consider yourself a guinea pig of love.
If you'd like to email me with a topic suggestion or just vent, try . I now have too many unanswered emails to catch up on, so I'm instituting a no-reply policy. In advance, I thank you for your email.
Posted by Sam de Brito
RECENT ENTRIES
More Executive Style
© 2007. The Sydney Morning Herald.

我要回帖

更多关于 mess 的文章

随机推荐